The holiday season is the traditional time to say “thank you” to those who have provided service to you throughout the year. One of the best ways to express your appreciation is a holiday tip or gift, accompanied by a hand-written note.
Every situation is different, so let common sense, specific circumstances, and holiday spirit be your guides. The following tip amounts are merely guidelines. What to give is always an individual decision.
- Au pair/Nanny A gift from your family (or one week’s pay), plus a small gift from your child
- Babysitter One evening’s pay, plus a small gift from your child
- Barber/Hairdresser Cost of one haircut, and/or gift
- Child’s Teacher Give a gift, not cash (gift certificate for coffee shop, book store, restaurant or joint gift with other parents and children)
- Day Care Providers $25 to $70 each, plus a small gift from your child
- Housekeeper One day’s pay
- Mail Carriers No cash, gifts worth up to $20 each
- Pet Groomer One session’s fee, and/or a small gift
- Pool Cleaner Cost of one cleaning
- Yard/Garden Worker $20 to $50 each